Point Sur Lighthouse in Point Sur, Calif., opened in 1889 after the U.S. Lighthouse Service spent more than a decade petitioning Congress for funds for the tower’s construction.
The site was inaccessible to the construction workers, so a set of railroad tracks was built and even then, when the building was finished, the keepers’ main access to the tower was a climb of 395 stairs. Eventually this was converted to a roadway.
The 40-foot tall stone beacon is still used to aid navigation, although it is no longer tended by a keeper. The light was automated in 1972.